Sunday, December 1, 2013

You Can Never Have Too Much Leyendecker

I checked out a relatively recent publication on the work of Leyendecker from my SCAD library and brought it home with me to read from, but mostly look at. The book is J.C. Leyendecker, American Imagist and it's definitely a keeper.


I did a some little studies in graphite and transparent white gouache:


I haven't worked like this before (for my opaque studies, see my Sloths and Statues), but I've enjoyed it enough to plan for a future piece using this method. You can water the gouache down to a very thin consistency and still get even washes (this may not be so easy on a larger scale). It's also easy to go back and lift the gouache to get some soft edges. The paper I'm working on is a recycled paper version of the manila folder available at most office supply stores.

And here are the pieces I worked from for the studies:

  
 
 The Garden Walk. Success. June 1904


Men with Golf Clubs. Arrow Collar Advertisement. 1914

No comments:

Post a Comment